Our COVID-19 Response Plan
Dear Valued HME Client
As we all experience the impact of COVID 19 in our communities, we wanted to let you know how we are looking after our clients, healthcare professionals and other stakeholders during this time.
The protection of HME’s clients, clinical workers and HME staff is our number one priority during this time, so HME has put in place special policies and procedures during this time. We continue to monitor and make decisions based on the guidelines set forth by the government, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO) and local health officials.
As part of HME’s Health Canada Class 1 and Class 2 medical establishment license, we are required to have robust infection control policies in place, along with very specific sanitizing standards. At this time, we are placing emphasis on the importance of following our policies and implementing additional actions to further ensure a safe work environment. Specifically,
- Disinfecting commonly used surfaces, such as, evaluation rooms, doorknobs, keyboards, remote controls, desktops, etc.) before and after each use.
- Wearing Protective Equipment in line with Health Authority guidelines
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth at all times.
- Restricting visitors to our facilities except for clients and those directly supporting our clients.
- Limiting number of clients in our showrooms
- Having special sanitation and disinfect procedures in place for trial of equipment
- Implementing new screening procedures prior to client interactions to minimize risk of exposure.
We are also reminding all staff to initiate personal protection measures suggested by the Health Authorities and encourage you to do the same.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people to limit possible exposure. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow. Throw used tissues in the trash immediately.
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
We are committed to continuing your care. We are partnering with our clinical teams and clients to offer alternative solutions for appointments including:
- At the your home
- In the nearest HME branch
- Delivery drop-offs at a clinical facility
- The use of virtual sessions where compliant and appropriate for privacy reasons
While all of our facilities remain open, we have plans in place to supplement client assistance if for some reason one of our facility’s operations are disrupted.
We will continue to keep you up to date with any related changes at HME that may affect you. We encourage members to learn more using the information available through Government of Canada Public Health Services. Visit the Government of Canada Public Health Services Our goal is to continue to offer our products and services that are extremely important to the communities we serve while protecting everyone during this time. We will continue to work closely with our funding agencies and health authorities to ensure we follow best practices in the public interest.
We hope you and your family all the best and stay safe during this uncertain time.